According to the National Fire Protection Association, there were 1,170 homes damaged in propane gas related fires in the years 2003 to 2007. It is because of this it is important to practice safety measures while using propane. Here are eight ways you and your family can stay safe while using a propane gas grill and range.
- Close the cylinder valve. Whenever the gas grill and range are not in use, the cylinder valve needs to be closed. Gas can seep out of the tank and cause injury when you do attempt to use the grill.
- Check the propane tank. Before refilling the cylinder, always check it for signs of damage. Dents and rust are warning signs that the cylinder is not safe to use. It should be checked by a professional before attempting to use it again.
- Do not leave the cylinder in the car. Take the cylinder home immediately after refilling it. You also need to ensure that the car is well-ventilated while transporting it. Leaving the tank in the car could cause it to overheat and cause injuries.
- Check for a blue flame. When the burner flame is blue, it is in good working order. However, if it is yellow, it is a sign that you need to clean the air inlets or that your burner requires adjustment.
- Use a leak detection solution. Before using the grill and range, you should check for leaks. A leak detection solution can check your connections and ensure they are secure. Your propane supplier can provide you with the solution.
- Be aware during use. While cooking, if you notice a gas smell, close the cylinder and the grill. If the smell disappears, have the cylinder serviced. However, if the odor lingers, call the fire department and move away from the grill.
- Store the cylinder upright. Your cylinder should be stored outdoors in an upright position. Do not store it in an enclosed area, such as a garage or shed.
- Cover the ends of hoses. To avoid rust and debris from building up on the ends of the connections, use protective caps to cover them. This will help to avoid problems with fitting the connections when it is time to use the grill and range.
Using a propane-powered grill and range is a good way to cook. However, it is important that you take steps to ensure you and your family's safety while grilling.